Friday, October 12, 2012

Pierced by a Sword!!

Okay, so there is this one book that I would  TOTALLY  recommend. Pierced by a Sword is probably one of the most fascinating, Catholic fiction books that I have ever read. I first picked it up about a year or two after high school and I have read the book several times since then. Why is it good? Well...

The author actually writes from a totally solid Catholic perspective and he writes his characters that seem to be very real. Ever heard of the messages given by Mary in her apparitions throughout the world? Well, within them, she warns of a global occurrence that could happen if people don't repent from their ways...and well, in this book...it happens!! 

What kind of characters are in this book? There is a troubled young securities broker from Chicago; a beautiful young woman, away from the faith since childhood; a fast-talking young priest from New Jersey; a drug dealer from Cleveland; a no-nonsense Irish Pope who drives his own car and travels in disguise; a soft-spoken, shy, former NFL football star; and...the Mother of God...

The book has a way of drawing people into it and thinking about the spiritual life in a new and different way...So much so that I remember the first time I was well into this book, I had put the book down and began praying...for the characters in the book! Hahaha I was drawn into the world of prayer so much so that I had begun to pray more spontaneously for everyone...lol...including the people in the book. I remember that I was on a plane when I realized what I was doing and I just began to laugh out loud at the ridiculousness of it. And yet it showed me that this book was great because I got so into it. 

DISCLAIMERS:
*A certain religion is depicted as having hierarchical power hunger (whether that is true or not, who knows? It's fiction. For all we know, the author could have chosen any other religion to write in that part of his story) 

*the first half of the book is written in a low-key, slow manner. Ever read Cannery Row or the Grapes of Wrath? John Steinbeck wrote those books in a way that you just "followed" the life of the characters. I liked those books and so the first half of the book didn't bother me at all because it was written like this. I have friends who hated that writing style and found the first half of the book so slow...but after you get passed that middle point, the book just TAKES OFF! These friends of mine were hooked!

Okay, so get the book...especially if you want something to read in terms of the Catholic faith...oh, and it's free when you get it through the website! They ask you to consider donating $1 for the shipping, but you really are not obligated to...so go ahead! Get the book!






"Macfarlane, the CatholiCity honcho, has written three novels so far, but his first one is, in my opinion, the best.(Others may disagree.)Pierced by a Sword is an apocolyptic thriller, and unlike so many 'End Times' books on the market, it's very, very Catholic. And, come to think of it, it isn't REALLY about the End Times at all -- it's far more optimistic than that." ~Healing Spirit of Faith

"Get ready for a journey of epic proportions--rather, cosmic proportions. This book is a little treasure, a marvel. This is an adventure, a comedy, a tragedy, a turbulent odyssey and a peaceful stroll. Most of all, this is a love story like no other I have ever read. A new kind of love story. I'll see you inside..." ~Michael O'Brien, author of Father Elijah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be charitable.