Monday, February 13, 2012

Soldier of Christ

"Father, I want to be holy."

You know, holiness is a process and a hard thing to do.

"I know, but I want to go to church more and pray so much more. I really love God."

Praise God! And I encourage you to go and get involved as much as you can! We all need to get those graces that are poured out to us for the battle.

"Uh...battle? What battle?"

The battle of your life! The battle to maintain holiness! The battle to fight against the inclinations to attack and be vengeful; the battle to let yourself be open to grace and allow peace to be your sword and not anger; the battle where you will need the quick and witty steps of humility and prudence so as to engage with people rather than succumb to prideful and manipulating plots; where you remain a soldier for Christ and constantly remember that you are Loved by God as his child and that you are not an agent of deception...
"That sounds intense....I don't know if I can handle it."

You can't.

"Huh?"

Look, you can't do this on your own. You need God's help, his grace. Going to Confession, Adoration, praying daily, going to Mass, examining your life by the Commandments and Virtues...All these things and everything else we have as Catholics are just the prep-work and training offered to you to deal with everyday life, and everyday broken and tired human hearts.
 

"I thought that being religious or spiritual was all that was needed. What's this about everyday life?"

Well, unless you live it out in your works, your faith can be counted as dead. A soldier of Christ is always trying; he goes into the battlefield everyday. When he steps out of it at the end of the day, he considers how he can improve, and then he goes back out into it the following day.

"So I got time? I can work on this? I can examine myself continuously and continue my battle as a soldier, my work on holiness?"

Yeah, it takes time and because we are all different, we will all train and go into the battlefield in different ways. But so long as Christ sees you training and going out to the battle and working on it, then he knows that you are trying. He wants to see you give what you got. Laziness doesn't do much for you in the battle; nor does laziness help you out when he calls his troops in at the END to give them their final ranking.

"Alright. I'll do my best."

Give it your all and do your best. That's a good holy way of thinking.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Father, thanks for the article. This is my first time to your blog and I plan on coming back, so long as you keep posting. I like this post, it is encouraging. However, an issue I think that needs to be addressed is recognizing the battle. Sometimes, it's not so easy. Especially when your emotions and feelings are under attack. When your faith feels dry and to be honest, times when you feel cold toward God and you don't want to be. Obviously, I'm talking about myself here, :). Any suggestions?

    A priest I know said I was under spiritual attack, I believe it but sometimes it's hard for me to recognize it or accept it. But that right there makes me think it is Satan trying to confuse me.

    Someone very close to me, told me to pray for the grace not to give into the darkened thoughts in my mind and that it was a cross, one which I should take up, even offering my sufferings to Christ.

    Right now, I've been trying to meditate on 2 Corinthians Chapter 12 verse 7-9.

    "7 And lest the greatness of the revelations should exalt me, there was given me a sting of my flesh, an angel of Satan, to buffet me.

    8 For which thing thrice I besought the Lord, that it might depart from me.

    9 And he said to me: My grace is sufficient for thee; for power is made perfect in infirmity. Gladly therefore will I glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may dwell in me."

    So of course, your prayers for me would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are not adverse to the idea, i would like to reply to your comment as my next post.

      Delete

Please be charitable.