Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thanks Bishop

So I walked into the Chancery today (the chancery is the "headquarters" of a diocese with all the offices that help the bishop run the diocese) to drop something off and walked up into the bishop's office.

I was tired from talking so much and being on my feet today. I flopped onto a chair in his office. "Christopher!" He used my first name. Priests mainly call each other by their first names. If we ever say "father" or "bishop" it is out of respect to the other priest.

What did you do today?" he asked in a happy Franciscan voice. "I lead a retreat all by myself for 8th graders," I said a bit tiredly. "By yourself?" "Yes. I opened up the retreat with a game. I delivered a talk that went longer than expected yet the teens were engaged the whole time. They had a small group discussion. I celebrated mass and I preached. We ate a quick lunch. Then we had a time of prayer with Adoration and praise and worship music." "Oh my" he responded.

Knowing how exhausting doing this can be, he said in a matter-of-fact kind of way, "So you going to rest a little with a quick nap?"
"Naw. I won't sleep later," I said. "I'll just have to get through the rest of the day somehow until the day ends."

Then in a sudden change of tone, the bishop says to me, "MAN UP! There are construction workers that are still working and will continue to work longer hours than what you put in today."

Sure there are days that we priests may put in more hours than others, and there are days that for whatever reason are slower than others...but as I sat there... I looked at him with a blank stare...surprised how he just gave me some perspective...

I thought to myself, "Huh...good point...So I worked alot today. Big deal. That's life."

I smiled. "Yeah, you are right." We continued talking about other stuff. Then I walked away still feeling tired, but grateful that I could do some work for the greater glory of God.

 Thanks for some perspective, Bishop...

2 comments:

  1. I think one of the greatest feelings in life is going to bed totally, completely exhausted and knowing you worked all day to provide for others :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I have felt like this many a times...Thank you for your comment

      Delete

Please be charitable.