Friday, October 28, 2011

Always a first

I am a priest. It is my birthday. There is always a first, right?

It is also the feast day of the Apostles Sts. Simon and Jude. Pretty cool.  No one really knows much about them except for the fact that they are mentioned in the list of apostles...so...obviously they were two of the Apostles. I always kinda liked them because their feast day was on my birthday. (HA! Notice that I never understood it as the other way around. They were cool because their feast was on MY birthday. haha) 
Who wouldn't be creeped out with
images of them like this? haha 

Still, a part of me couldn't ever get past how creepy it was that I didn't know much about them and yet they were watching me from heaven on my birthday:  "Uh...I don't know you guys very well, but I like you for being the saints on MY birthday...and though I don't know you, I know you look down upon me from heaven and watch me on this day especially." Creepy, no?

Right before mass today, I was vesting into my favorite red vestments. I was thinking, "wow...I REALLY like these. It's sooo cool I can wear them today..."

And right before I walked out from behind the altar with the server, I said, "Hey!" "Yeah?" "I'm a priest...and I'm going to celebrate mass for the first time...on...my...birthday..."

And I just stood there...with the goofiest smile...and in awe...
After I came to, I chuckled a bit and said "alright, let's go" and I continued to smile and chuckle up until I said, "In the name of the Father..."

My intention for mass? Thanksgiving for another year of life...and for my mom who gave me life...

1 comment:

Please be charitable.