Thursday, September 22, 2011

End of the Day Prayer

Well, here I am....sitting here....in my office...it's the end of the day...and I haven't gotten as much done as I wanted to get done. Fortunately, I did pray, which is an ubber must for all priests. Please, dear Jesus, help me to get my prayer time in regularly. And yet, I mainly stayed behind the desk, tried to clean things up, tried to make sense of certain files that  needed ordering, and I tried to get my new laptop to sync with the office's printer...oi vay!

So, now I sit here...kinda feeling like I did the best I could today. I tried to get myself organized. One window into my office. So natural light is limited. I have lamps, but it's not the same...I look out in front of me and think of the little red book with quotes from saints hiding underneath some of the papers on my desk.

St. Ignatius of Loyola wrote something that made me think.
"It is true that the voice of God, having once fully penetrated the heart, becomes strong as the tempest and loud as the thunder; but before reaching the heart it is as weak as a light breath which scarcely agitates the air. It shrinks from noise, and is silent amid agitation."
Even as I sit here, the voice of the Lord is present. He lingers in the air. Just as "the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters" of that formless, dark, void of an earth, so too does the Spirit of God, the voice of God, sits there, lingering, and yet moving in a dynamic way incomprehensible to our own understanding, over the formless, sinful, dark voids of our own hearts...desiring to bring life and order to them by his voice...by the touch of his divine life...

Just as the beloved awaited in an excited anticipation for the kiss from her love, awaiting in anticipation as his lips hovered over hers, so too did the earth awaited the kiss of God to breathe life and order into creation. That moment of anticipation for the creation of all things...that moment as his Spirit moved and hovered over the waters, for that moment when God would say, "LET THERE BE LIGHT!"

And daily does He await to do this to us and in us...to have that moment with us...to bring us his very self so as to give us life, to order the passions of our hearts...and yes, he may be "strong as the tempest and loud as the thunder," and yet, more often then nought he will work within the heart silently and slowly grow in ardor until he becomes a raging wind kept within the heart.

And so, as He awaits there, shrinking away from noise, as He awaits outside of the "doors of my heart," I silence my internet radio. I let my guard down. I allow that whispering voice of God's silent peace into my anticipating heart as I pray:

Come, Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be charitable.